The breeding stock should be chosen when they reach 4 to 5 months old. The breeder should be selected from the biggest litter. In males, it is very essential to find the presence of two testicles in the scrotum as testicles descend down from the body cavity at 12 weeks old. Extensive type of reproduction:-
Weaning here practiced is 5 to 6 weeks and re-breeding soon after weaning. Does are therefore mated once every 2.5 months. This is the best suited to tropical countries like India.
2. Semi intensive reproduction
Weaning is practised at 4-5 months old. Intensive reproduction
Weaning is at 4 weeks old. Mating is done immediately after kindling. Usually this practise is followed in western countries.
Always females should be placed to the pen of male to prevent fighting. Mating should be performed during coolest portion of the day like early morning or late night. After successful mating the male usually generates a typical cry sound and falls down on one side of the female. Soon after the mating the male one should be removed from the cage. The male shouldn’t be more than 3 to 4 days in a week and not more than 2 to 3 times in a day. The proportion of male to female is 1:10. Both genders should reach 70% of their adult body weight.
The breeding season is almost throughout year. But in India, autumn stress is encountered during hot weather.
Directory: Signs of heat in females
3. They are spontaneous ovulators. Ovulation begins 10 hours after mating.
4. In heat, the female rabbit accepts male, otherwise it rejects.
5. In heat, the female assumes a typical pose called”lordosis” where the back is arched downward and hind quarter is increased.
6. The female one in di-estrous phage crouch at the corner of the cage.
7. After kindling (parturition), the re breeding happens after a week in intensive direction. But normally re-mating is shown one week before weaning.
8. When temperature rises above 36 degree centigrade, temporary sterility occurs.